Friday, April 18, 2008

Pencil Report

Several weeks ago Kira did a project on Inventors and their Inventions. Her assignment was to pick an invention she liked, and wanted to learn more about and then do a report on it.

Of all the inventions I thought she might choose, I never dreamed she would pick the pencil. When I asked her why she wanted to study about that, she said that she really likes pencils because they are so useful. "After all mom, if I didn't have a pencil it would be a lot harder for me to draw and write stories". Those are two of her favorite things to do. Leave it to her not to take the pencil for granted!


Here is the poster that she created to go along with her oral presentation.


One of the men she learned about was named Nicholas Jacques Conte. He patented the modern process for making pencils. The only picture we could find was this one with a band around his eye. Kira came up with several imaginative reason why he might have lost his eye (for her family's pleasure only) and she just had to pose for a picture with them wearing matching bands.

6 comments:

Denise said...

Awesome!

I love learning stuff like that!

Amy said...

That's great- and it's a lot more interesting than Beaver County. That's what Hannah has been researching for her presentation....good job!

Ariana said...

Love the eyepatch! hahaha

Chelsea said...

Seriously, the cuteness of your kids. I could just squeeze them all (don't tell Christopher, he probably wouldn't like that). I love your blog, so much fun. Except now what will we chat about in the ML at church??? :)

Samurai Mom said...

Ok, I need to come over for a lesson on the history of pencils

Unknown said...

That looked like a great poster Kira put together. I also loved your creative way of picturing her with the band on her eyes. The use of just this one simple prop in the photo shows so much of your family's sense of humor and creativity. It sounds just like something I would have done. Excellent transmission of family values and traditions!