Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Love Note for Robin's Friends

Despite the provocative title, this is not a creative way for me to hit on several married women en masse. Just bear with me.

It's not too often that I make the time to post. Amidst all the demands and pressures of life, it seems that I forget to make time for the important things, more often than I remember. A hundred other things dance, whine, beg or shriek for attention, and my skill at being distracted is as legendary as my ability to rationalize my way to a little leisure.

Robin is the same way, except that she doesn't get distracted (much) or rationalize (ever); she is legitimately doing the very best she knows how to do each and every hour of the day. This is one of the many reasons I married her, and it still humbles me to see.

Now, she'll be the first to tell you that a lot of things fall through the cracks, and that she never goes to bed without the feeling that she's left something undone. I will be the first to tell you, if you haven't noticed it on your own, that she's too hard on herself. She's carries a load I would find both foreign and insupportable, and she rarely puts it down.

So how does she do it?

If you're reading this post, then you are part of the reason.

Your posts and comments are a genuine source of strength, inspiration and pleasure for Robin. Of course, sometimes, they're also a bit intimidating, because you all are an impressive lot. But that too serves its purpose, and we shake our heads in amazement as you slip past problems or obstacles that keep tripping us up, encouraging us to try again. These snapshots of your lives help Robin (and I) to feel more connected, less distant, and better equipped to keep a much-needed perspective.

Thank you. You're a support to the woman I love, and so I love you for it. I know that each of you are just being who you are, and that makes the gift of your friendship all the better.

3 comments:

Denise said...

We love you both...and your kids too!

You are some of the best parts of our lives.

Amy said...

Exactly! (What Denise said)

I have a few more thoughts but you'll have to read them "elsewhere". :)

Jolinda said...

Daniel, How kind of you! I have always thought very highly of the two of you, and you know there's always been and will be a special place in my heart for you. Thank you for taking care of one of the women I love.