Friday, March 28, 2008

Who needs a routine!

I don't usually blog at 5:30 in the morning. I usually prefer to be sleeping. However blogging is exactly what I'm doing. "Why?" you might ask.

Let's just say I'm not good at doing the whole single parent thing. I don't know how others do it. (I know Denise, I should just "suck it up").

Daniel and my mom left last night for Utah. (More on the reason for that below). They will be gone 3 days. Although I can do anything for three days, I still don't like it much (but in this case, it was far better than the alternative).

Daniel is always the one who gets up with the baby in the middle of the night. When it is time for me to nurse Michael, Daniel brings him in and lays him next to me. This way I don't have to get out of bed. This works out pretty well, because if I do get out of bed, I can't go back to sleep for several hours. Daniel however is fairly good at going back to sleep.

Luckily Michael is almost sleeping through the whole night now. He usually wakes up between 5-6:30 to nurse and then he goes back to sleep. This morning he woke up at a quarter to 5. He has eaten and is sleeping soundly in him crib. And here I am, blogging away.

The reason Daniel and my mom are in Utah is to transport the rest of my mom's things to Oregon. When she moved to Arizona, she put a lot of her stuff in storage in Utah. Ever since my mom moved in with us, we have been playing with different ideas about the best way to get her stuff here. We had discussed hiring a moving company; renting a truck here and driving it both ways; having my mom, myself, and the kids drive the van there and then drive the moving truck back; flying my mom, myself and Michael to Utah and driving the truck back; and lastly, Daniel and my mom flying and driving back. Thank heavens we decided on the last choice. That was definitely the easiest way for me. Thus I don't mind making the sacrifice of being a single parent for a few days.

Christopher and Kira are really having a hard time with their dad being gone though. Daniel does so much for and with the kids. He really is a major part of their lives (as it should be). Because of that, they really miss him when he is away. It's hardest for them at night, because that is when they get the best close time with their dad. He wrestles, teases, reads, and plays with them every night before bed. Both kids took turns shedding tears last night.

Because they were having a ruff time, I let most of the rules slide. We stayed up really late playing Wii. We didn't brush teeth, say prayers, or read scriptures. And to top it off, Kira is sleep right beside me, while Bri and Christopher are sleeping on the living room floor.

Oh well, one night (or maybe two) without rules or routine won't hurt.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I would NEVER tell you to just suck it up. Believe me, I KNOW it sucks. You just get through it and pray everyone is still standing when it's over.

Party at Robin's! Woo hoo.

Jenny said...

I have been there before! The longest my Dan was away from me was 1 week and it was more than I could bare! It's tough having your "other half" away from you all and I ALWAYS bend the rules when he's gone and ALWAYS have the kids near me when we go to bed!