Saturday, March 1, 2008

Searching for a Preschool

It became clear to me this week that it is time to start researching preschools for Briona. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

When Christopher and Kira went to preschool it was no big deal. I didn't do any real interviews or comparison shopping. Christopher and I started a "Mom and Me" gymnastics class at the Little Gym when he was 2. I loved the staff there and so did he, so when it was time for him to go to preschool (age 3) it was a no brainer for me to send him there.

When Kira was ready for preschool Christopher was going to school in Springville and so I picked a school that was close to his school. That made it really easy because there was only one real preschool that I knew about in that area.

Now that it's Briona's turn we are in a totally different situation. There are literally hundreds of preschools to choose from. And I'm just finding out that the "good ones" are hard to get into. They all have wait lists. Luckily the waiting lists are fairly short on my top choices and I now have Bri on the list, but still it's a waiting list. I can't believe it, especially since it's only February.

My next dilemma is that now I need to go in and interview the schools. I've never done this before and I don't know what to be looking for or what questions to ask. I could really use some pointers! So do any of you have some advice for me?

How do I find the "right" school. Oh the pressure!

4 comments:

Denise said...

I think the most important this is to find the right environment.

For me, at this age, the acadmeics are not so important.

I think environment and nurturing are the keys to having happy children, and when they are happy and loved, the learning will come.

Mindy said...

I went through this just a year ago with Jack! My #1 was just how it felt to be there. Was it a place Jack would love to spend time? Also, I looked at the facilities (play area, books available, general organization) and where the actual "learning" would take place. She's so young, it's more a matter of giving her a positive start to the school experience. Most likely, you can't go wrong. Sounds like you've got some great choices! Good luck!

Amy said...

I agree with what Denise said- and you will do just fine. Whichever school you choose will be perfect for Bri.

Jolinda said...

I have never doubted your ability to make good choices when it comes to education. Do what everyone else has said and then pray. You'll know what to do. Good Luck!