Saturday, March 1, 2008

Revelation is pure, but words are translation

I read a very good article about Revelation. It is by Orson Scott Card. My mom actually came across it while she was reading the Deseret Morning News and she pasted it on to me. It really made me stop and think.

In my scripture reading I am in the middle of the Isaiah chapters in 2nd Nephi. It has always rattled me that Nephi refers to these scriptures as plain. Actually I just looked up the exact reference and it says:

4 Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel, and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you, nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy.

I guess it doesn't say that the words of Isaiah are plain. For some reason I always thought that was what he said. It seems to me now that I reread the above scripture, and after reading Card's article it makes a lot more sense to me.

I've never understood the words of Isaiah and I have always felt two things. While reading I've felt kind of dumb for not being able to figure it out and slightly annoyed that Nephi put them in there. I couldn't figure out why they had to be sooooooo cryptic. Usually I just bulldoze my way through it. Now I feel a small glimmer of understanding. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father gives us all kinds of ways to learn and grow.



3 comments:

Denise said...

This is what we studied today in Sunday School. It was really good.

One brother commented that he went back and read the actual text of Isaiah...and in an effort to understand he followed ALL the footnotes.

He said that most of the time he wound up in the Book of Mormon and how wonderful it was that there were others prophets who could explain what it all meant.

I enjoyed an article in the last Ensign (you know me and the Enisgn) that talked about how the reader didn't understand why there were all the talks about war in the Book of Mormon, but as he was finally able to liken them to himself and his situation he could finally see the wisdom in it.

Yeah for wisdom!

Amy said...

This is why I love the Temple. I seem to understand things better there. So when I'm struggling with specific scripture and applying to it me that's where I go for guidance. Line upon line- that's what it is all about.

Jolinda said...

Troy just recently started teaching Gospel Doctrine. He shared something I hadn't thought of before. Chapter 11 is like a prologue and Chapter 25 like the epilogue of the Isaiah chapters. I haven't reread them this week, but maybe that would help you. Also, read the quote from Boyd K Packer in the Book of Mormon study guide. Real truth, from an apostle. Keep going!