Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Nutcracker Tea


On Saturday night the whole family went to see "The Nutcracker Tea". This is a production that is put on by the Northwest Dance Theatre. It is a shorter version of the original ballet thus making it more "child friendly". The choreography is also geared towards children. We had a wonderful time. We ended up sitting on the very front row because we had some troubles getting to the theatre but the kids thought that was perfect.

I had to leave during the second act because Michael was getting a little talkative. Luckily there was an exit door right by my seat. I snuck through it. The door opened into what looked like a stairwell and hall. It was fairly dark inside. As I pasted through I was surprised to see some clothes on the floor but didn't think too much about it. Their were two people with head sets on at the side door (I figured they must be security). They gave me directions to the back auditorium and so Michael and I continued to enjoy the performance from there.

After several numbers, Daniel joined me at the back so that he could give me a break. I noticed a really mortified expression on his face. Then everything clicked! I asked him if he had used the same door I did to get here. Then I asked him if by chance the ballerinas were using that stairwell as a dressing room. I couldn't help but laugh. You can only imagine how he felt about the whole experience (Thank heavens it was dark!).

I asked the kids "What things did you enjoy most about the ballet The Nutcracker Tea?"

Chris Said:
These are things that I liked about the Nutcracker Tea:
I liked the Russian Faberge Eggs dance. The reason I liked that is because the dance is so energetic. I also liked the part at the beginning of the dream where the rats are trying to take the Nutcracker. The reason I liked that is because the rats are running around like crazy maniacs! There are more reasons, I just can't put them to words.

Kira Said:
My favorite part was when they were in the land of sweets. My favorite sweets were either the gingerbread men, the French Marzipans, and the dance of the Turkish Delight. I liked their outfits the most. The gingerbread men were girls about 6 years old and they had brown suits on that were like footie jammies with hoods and red buttons. At the end of the dance they popped out of the oven. The French Marzipans were teenagers and they were wearing short blue dresses and fancy blue hats with a blue feather in them. In the Turkish Delight the main dancer was immodest. She had on a top that looked like a sparkly gold bikini top. Her pants were a bit see through but she had on a bikini bottom under the pants. All of the other dancers had those same pants except they were wearing gold sparkly leotards. The main dancer had dangly things that sounded like bells. My favorite dance was the Turkish Delight because that dance was the best. My least favorite dance was the Chef and Chefettes because the chef, which was actually a girl, had a big bottom (that was actually a pillow) and she shook it a ton. It was really really really really (etc.) weird.
I really loved it. Next year I want to see the complete ballet with just me and my mom.

Briona Said:
The little angels.
The fairies. I liked their dresses.
The dragon.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds like fun! I'm so glad you have a blog and I get to see how your doing! We sure miss all of you! Have a Merry Christmas! (Jenny Johnson)

cherapin said...

What you need are more words (or information) about this topic. If you are interested, find some here: [1] ballet, Nutcracker and Peter Tchaikovsky at http://www.icfw.org/ballet-sg.html [2] Nutcracker and Mouse King by ETA Hoffman, the origin of this ballet at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._T._A._Hoffmann
and [3] look for a book in your local library called The Best Tales of Hoffman. Have fun learning.

Randy said...

Those reviews were so good that I was able to get a great idea of what the whole experience was like. And they all have such unique input!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful blog. Have a continued very happy holiday!

Unknown said...

Alena and I got to see the Nutcracker Ballet in SLC a long time ago. We sat on the 2nd row in the 'way expensive seats. (I had won the tickets at work.) It was a great experience, especially that close up. Normally I don't get too excited about the ballet, but being close enough to see the dancers expressions made it very special. Alena was about 8 or 9 then, so Kira would probably really enjoy seeing the whole thing next year. Hope you get a chance to go.