Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

(Jen is going to kill me for posting this picture, but it was the only one I had with the two of us together. I thought when you had a digital cam it was suppose to end the days of bad pics. Don't you just love that we match! We didn't even plan that!)

After almost a year and a half of little to no running, I decided that it was time to lace up my running shoes.

When I got pregnant with Michael I had just finished training for and competing in the Hood to Coast relay race. I was running 3-4 miles four days a week and then doing a long run on Saturday. I felt great. I had never stuck with an exercise program before and I surprised myself by sticking with this one. I had never seen myself as a runner. In fact before I started this training, the last time I had run any significant amount of time was in high school gym class (and back then I hated it).

The H2C relay was in August and come late September I was already starting to feel the effects of being with child. Because I was so sick and because my heart rate went through the roof every time I tried to run, I stopped running all together. I figured I would pick it up again after Michael was bone. It took me almost 6 months after his arrival to figure out how to find the time to exercise again.

So some time in January of this year I decided that I wanted to try and run another 1/2 marathon. Honestly I wasn't sure I could do it again, especially after not exercising at all for more then a year. But here it is, the middle of June and I have a finishers metal around my neck.



Jennifer (who was my running partner last time) and I decide to train together again for the Helvetia 1/2. Up until the weather got better we ran inside on treadmills, but once it got a little warmer we did all of our longer runs outside. Jennifer planned all of our routes. We started by running 7 miles, adding a mile each week, until we reached 13 miles.

Both Jennifer and I felt very good when we finished the race. We ran a little slower than we did in 2006, because we didn't push ourselves as hard. But the pace was much better for both of us. We finished the race in 2 hrs, 25 min. (about). In 2006 our time was 2 hrs, 21 min. So even with the slower pace we only finished about 4 minutes later. And this year we finished feeling wonderful instead of feeling totally spent.



I had a great time! So great in fact that now we are making plans to do a triathlon!

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm so impressed! I wish we lived in the same area so we could train together for stuff like that. Isn't running the best way to get a little alone time? It's so reviving! Keep up the good work!

AJ said...

Way to go Robin! But I always knew you could do anything you set your mind to.

Ariana said...

Wow! Good job guys! Run some for me too hahaha

Kristi said...

Robin you're amazing!!! I am so glad that you had fun doing that run. It makes me want to try a little harder with my running!! You and Jennifer look so cute in your matching running outfits!!!

Jolinda said...

I can't imagine running that far all at once...okay, maybe not even at all! I was wondering, if you don't want to swim, maybe I could swim for you and you could run and find someone else to bike...what do you think? It'd give m a good excuse to come and see you!! ;o)