Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years Day

This New Years day will be one that we'll remember for awhile.
It started out great.
We had a really laid back morning and afternoon. I spend a lot of time going through pictures and posting some on facebook. Daniel took the kids shopping for model car paint and ended up spend a couple of hours just browsing though the stores (suprisingly enough they all had a great time. I didn't think Daniel really liked that kind of thing.) Then in the evening we went over to the Risenmay's for Dinner. Dinner was delicious and guitar hero, world tour was a blast.
Then at about 10:30 we got the phone call. In a panicked voice my mom told us that the basement was flooded and that we should get home quick. Daniel rushed over, but I took a little more time, assuming it probably wasn't all that bad. Well, I was wrong. The whole basement had been effected, some areas at least an inch and a half deep.
I guess at some point the power box to our sump pump got tripped and it stopped pumping water. The rain fall was a literal down pour, so it didn't take very log after the pump stopped to flood the basement. All we had to do was reset the switch and the pump came back to life, but the damage was done.
Daniel, my mom, myself, and George (what a saint!) spend the next 4 hours moving furniture, clearing gutters,and sucking water out of the carpets.
The next step was to get blower fans and call the insurance. Daniel was able to rental a couple of fans from Home Depot while I was at work and by the time I got home he had then going.
The fans did their job well and now our carpets are dry with very little permanent damage. What a blessing. We still have the emergency response guys coming out on Monday or Tuesday to check our walls and make sure there isn't any water damage to them. I don't think they will find much.
I just have to say what a blessing it is to have good friends. Jennifer kept our 3 oldest kids for the 1st night and George was a huge help. I seriously don't know what we would have done without them.

3 comments:

Denise said...

OH! NO! Robin. I am so sorry. Thank goodness for good friends!!!

Amy said...

Floods are the worst thing ever!

And it seems that water can ruin things in no time... I'm glad you got to it quick and had help.

Unknown said...

I finally checked to see if there was any new content and was surprised to see 4 more posts. I have an account with Facebook, but haven't looked at it for 2 months. Not very addictive for my generation, since it is just a little hard to begin using. I'm sure I'll figure it out in a year or two. Or get Alena to show me.